Friday 28 August 2015

Review: Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman

Publication Date : October 2010
Publisher:  Doubleday Books
Source:  Borrowed from library

[ Goodreads ]             [ Book Depository


Blurb: 

This is the explosively page-turning new novel for teenagers from the author of the award-winning "Noughts and Crosses" sequence. You're about to receive your A-level results and then a future of university and journalism awaits. 

But the day they're due to arrive your old girlfriend Melanie turns up unexpectedly ...with a baby ...You assume Melanie's helping a friend, until she nips out to buy some essentials, leaving you literally holding the baby ...Malorie's dramatic new novel will keep you on the edge of your seat right to the final page.





Malorie Blackman is an author I have heard so much about from bloggers, readers and friends. Although my library stocks nearly all of her pulished works, I had not picked up any of her novels until now. 

Boys Don't Cry was a novel I passed by on the shelves many times in my library. I, for some reason, had never picked up the novel before and am kicking myself now as this novel was so entertaining, thought provoking and captivating. 


Dante was an excellent character. He has been waiting and working so very hard to achieve top grades so he can attend university but what happens after his ex-girlfriend leaves a baby she says is his threatens all of his plans. What I loved about Dante's character most, was the slow and steady way his character developed over the course of the novel in terms of relations with his daughter, friends and family. I could feel myself empathizing with Dante as he had to overcome every hurdle, stigma and nasty glare from strangers as he battles to keep his child and bring her up in the best way he could. Malorie created a vibrant set of characters whose stories gripped me. 

Although Boys Don't Cry is about Dante having to step up to taking care of his child, we also touch on a lot of other topics surrounding many other characters in the novel. I really enjoyed the way Malorie Blackman weaved the stories into each other in a way that made them flow beautifully and kept my interest throughout.  Dante's younger brother Adam was a favourite of mine. He was so sunny, optimistic and his narrative was extremely interesting to read. 

Although I loved the plot of the novel and the perfect pacing, I did find some aspects predictable. Adams story and plot line, although extremely predictable in the beginning, took quite the twist which surprised me completely. I found some aspects of the family related plot twists predictable but overall Malorie Blackman has proven her fantastic writing skills to me and I will definitely be picking up more of her novels in the future. 

Overall Boys Don't Cry is a page turner that will have you laughing, crying and reading late into the night. A hard hitting, raw and though provoking novel. 

Please let me know in the comments if you have read this novel or Malorie Blackmans Noughts & Crosses series which I hope to pick up soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment