Monday 18 November 2019

Review: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Publication Date: September 2015
Publisher: Walker Books
Source: Own
Series: The Mortal Instruments #6

Goodreads  ]             [  Book Depository  ] 

Blurb: 
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

 Okay so, if you don't want to be spoiled for the previous Cassandra Clare books released before CoHF please leave, read the Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments and then return!

Spoilers ahead!


Character development Clary used to be so lost and helpless but is now badass. She really has come into herself and become more comfortable in the Shadowhunter world in the last couple books, especially since City of Lost Souls. Jace has also changed a lot, especially since City of Lost Souls. After being controlled by Sebastian in CoLS he had retreated into himself due to the guilt over his actions in that time but this book sees him become more open to accepting help from his friends. Jace finally begins to acknowledge that sometimes he has to let them help, and that they have all become his family. The Clace relationship also was so well written in this book as we see them become closer and stronger.



Alec has become so much more open and friendly towards everyone. Also Simon & Alec are the bffs I did not know I wanted! His heartbreak over Magnus was so palpably written, and I adored ow everyone else rallied to try to reunite Malec. Isabelle being more open to being vulnerable and letting her emotions out was so refreshing. Isabelle letting her vulnerable side out, wanting Simon to make the first move and taking a back seat. Her and Simon's relationship is so well written. I laughed out loud at the Lord Montgomery stuff. Honestly, Cassie Clare - we need the Simon & Izzy spin off NOW.

A lot of Magnus development which makes me really want to pick up The Bane Chronicles and the Scrolls of the Shadowmarket. Magnus weighing up Alecs betrayal in the previous book and their relationship, realising how much he means to him and also realising how connected he is t the characters. I absolutely adored his re-uniting scene with Alec and the end scene. Malec is just one of the best relationships Cassie has written.

I also feel like Jocelyn and Luke are underrated. I think when I read this series as an angsty teen, I never cared about them. But now that I'm in my twenties I actually find myself drawn more to the adults of the series. Luke is so underrated- I mean protective, caring adoptive father, owns a bookstore- WE STAN.

I found the scenes of Maia and the wolf pack issues in the novel extremely boring and almost like filler scenes. I don't know why but I was so shocked when Maia said she didn't love Jordan and was planning on breaking up with him. Also her relationship with Bat was so out of nowhere and not developed at all.

A lot of people say the first half was slow for them but for me I really enjoyed the first half as much as the second half. I felt the first half brought a lot in terms of setting the scene, introducing new characters which will be featured in future novels and also gave some cute character driven scenes before we got down to the bloodshed and action.
The second half featured a lot of action. It was almost hard to keep up at times. I actually found the battle scenes to be a little rushed in the writing. I found that usually Clare is very descriptive in these scenes but I felt they were not as vividly written and came across a little bland. This could've been due to the fact there were so many but nevertheless. I felt the big battle with Sebastian was well written, especially enjoyed the scene as he died and became Jonathan for a moment. Really poetic and touching.

Also one thing that really turned me off the book, and the last one, was how Cassandra Clare keeps pushing the Sebastian wanting to r*pe Clary. For me, this was totally unnecessary in the story, offensive to victim to read and just CC trying to be controversial for no reason. Really did not enjoy that aspect of the novel. 

One controversial aspect that made me dislike the novel, and please guys don't hate me, but I think some of the main characters should have died *hides*. I found it boring and tedious that Cassandra Clare kept all of the main characters alive, in convenient couples and alive....where was the death? I felt like Magnus was pretty close to death in the prison scene, if he did die and become mortal that would've been a great twist. Am I alone in this?

Although the cameo of Tessa and Jem (Brother Zachariah) being together again broke my heart into little pieces. How they were discussing Jace and Emma also gave me serious feels. Also the demon realm dreams chapter broke my heart into a million pieces.

Overall, this review was a rambly rant of my favourite bits of the book and my least faves. This was a good ending the the series and a nice goodbye to some of my longest read characters. If you haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's novels I highly urge you to go read them right now. If you have, please 1. talk to me about them and 2. buy them for your secret santa or friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment