Sunday 8 July 2012

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

(First published in 1847)
TIME TO READ:  2 months (read it for school.)
PAGES:  464 pg's

SYNOPSIS:
Wuthering Heights is a wild, passionate story of the intense and almost demonic love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, a foundling adopted by Catherine's father. After Mr Earnshaw's death, Heathcliff is bullied and humiliated by Catherine's brother Hindley and wrongly believing that his love for Catherine is not reciprocated, leaves Wuthering Heights, only to return years later as a wealthy and polished man. He proceeds to exact a terrible revenge for his former miseries

MY REVIEW:
CHARACTERS: 3/5
I didn't really like the characters in this book. I disliked Catherine. She was selfish, mean and all round spoiled. She threw tantrums whenever things did not go her way. Her actions often aggravated her father and those around her. Her treatment of Heathcliff was poor at the best of times. I did not enjoy their relationship as, although they were "in-love" with each other, they still acted cold and bitter to one another constantly.
Heathcliff. I felt so sorry for Heathcliff because of the way he was treated by Hindley as a child. But this sympathy did not last for long as he returned and became a tyrant. He wanted to control all those around him. When Catherine died, he began to bang his head off a tree until it bled. I mean seriously, what?! He was horrible to Linton and hareton . He treated young Cathy horribly, locking her in the room until she married. Overall i really hated him.
The nurse, Nelly was really funny. I liked her very much. She was very good at telling the story.
I though Hareton was so adorable. I was happy with the ending , His relationship with Young Cathy <3

PLOT: 2/5
The plot was Meh. There were aspects I enjoyed such as heathcliff and Catherine's rebellion against religion, The coffin-thing was unique and the book being told through Nelly was very interesting. The plot was not fast paced or gripping. It was sort of bland but sometimes enjoyable. It was a dark read, Lots of dark themes throughout the plot. Not your typical love story. I didn't like the romance of the book much, I just liked reading about Nelly and crazy Joseph ! :)

WRITING STYLE: 4/5
I liked the writing style. Even though this book was published in the 1800's , it was not too difficult to read and i enjoyed that. I thought that i would be difficult to comprehend what the characters were saying because of when it was written and also because they spoke in a Yorkshire accent. But I did enjoy that Joseph spoke with a Yorkshire accent, Sure it was sometimes hard to read but it was authentic.I liked the Dialogue between the characters too. So Writing style - Thumbs up.

OVERALL RATING: 9 / 15
Three star book
* * *
Who doesn't love this song, especially when you are reading this book?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment