Saturday 1 September 2012

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Pages-  215

SYNOPSIS:
The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...
This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.It wants the truth



MY REVIEW:
I totally judged this book by its cover, which is beautiful by the way! I went into this book expecting it to be in  the horror, Halloween type of read. But actually I was taken on an emotional and hard hitting roller coaster. This book was 100% the opposite of what I thought I was going to be reading but I enjoyed it so much.
The characters of this novel were very realistic and I felt I could connect and become attached to the main character, Conor, very easily and quickly. I felt empathy towards him, from his home life to the bullying, I felt very connected to him.He Lashes out at anyone who trys to help him. It was very emotional reading about his character and all he is going through. His mom and her illness were very realistic, the side affects and treatments were not sugarcoated, which was a factor I enjoyed. Conors relationship with his Grandma and the development of their relationship was wonderfully written.
 I loved The Monster and the shift in the books tone with his arrival. The monster was a lot different than I had expected. His stories were very interesting and odd. I liked how I could relate the stories to Conors life. The stories were to help Conor realise his truth and I liked the reveal of the truth. I was not expecting what his truth was, but I did really enjoy the build up to the climax of the Truth. The Illustrations by Jim Kay are wonderful. The images are so captivating and beautiful...


I felt the book was written really well, the plot flowed and I felt I could dive into the books world and plot. Really enjoyed this book , although some parts were predictable.

RATING:  four and a half stars
* * *  * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment