Wednesday 1 June 2016

5 Books You Should Read This Summer





Hi everyone, long time no blogging. I have been so busy with college and exams that I did not have much free time to blog or read. Now that I've finished my exams, I'm back with a new blog post on the 5 books I think that you should read this summer!





We Were Liars by E. Lockhart -   (Review)

3 Reasons to read this book;

1) The setting of the novel at Beechwood Island, the family's holiday home is the most vivid and summery setting ever. The book opens up with a family tree and map of the Island which is also perfect as I LOVE books with maps.

2) The plot of the novel is extremely gripping and fast paced. With a semi-unreliable narrator and many twists and turns, this book keeps you guessing. Perfect darker contemporary. 

3) E. Lockhart's writing style is so very beautiful, captivating and poetic. The novel will have the reader entertained throughout. 





Paper Aeroplanes & Goose by Dawn O'Porter -   (Review)



3 Reasons to read this series: 

1) A  coming-of-age story that shows the nitty gritty real side to growing up, making friends, falling in love and family life. An outstanding contemporary.

2) Such unique and realistic characters. The friendship that exists between Flo and Renee is so beautiful and reads as being so real. I definitely felt that these characters were memorable and could identify with them at points.

3) The 90's setting was fun to read about (even though I did have to google what a "shell suit" was the first time I read the novel!).









Unstoppable by Liz Bankes -  (Review)

3 Reasons to read this book;

1) The main character Rosie is awesome. Although she is painfully shy at times, I feel you see her grow and come more into her own skin as the novel goes on (which is one of my favourite things to read about in a book!).

2) The way this book discusses relationships, sex, friendships and college/uni is so realistic. Lots of books gloss over bits or put a rose tint on these issues but Liz Bankes writes perfectly about them.

3) Perfect light contemporary novel that is full of entertaining developments, humour and realistic relationships.








I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson-  

3 Reasons to read this book; 

1) The story of this book is one of the most emotional I've ever read. You feel yourself connect so deeply with all the characters and the plot that when it ends, you feel an intense urge to re-read it. 

2) The novel is written in dual POV from the perspective of two twins Jude and Noah. Their relationship is one of the best family relationships I've ever read. They are such vivid, raw and memorable characters that when you finish the novel, the story and characters stay with you long after. 

3) Jandy Nelson...need I say more? Jandy Nelson is such a poetic and beautiful writer. Her novels have this incredible flow and stay with you long after you finish reading them. Highly recommend her previous novel The Sky Is Everywhere also. 







Fish Out Of Water by Natalie Whipple-  

3 Reasons to read this book; 

1) Mika is so quirky and she is so passionate about animals, especially fish which I loved to read about. I've never been mad about fish but reading this book almost made me want a fish! I also love reading about characters who are passionate about something.

2) Mika & Dylan's romance is so well written. That perfect mix of wring first impressions, getting to know each other little by little and slowly friendship becoming something more. Definitely one of the best romance novels I've ever read.

3) The characters, friendships and relationships are all written so well! I loved reading about not only Mika & Dylan's relationship but the family relationships that exist within this book and how Mika interacts with her friends. 

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree We Were Liars is a great summer book!! I like reading complicated stuff like that on the beach rather than fluffy romance :) IGYTS is AMAZING.... it's a piece of art and EVERYONE should read it!! I'm glad you loved it also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Michelle. Jandy Nelson can do no wrong in my opinion !

      Delete
  2. We Were Liars is such a great summer book! I really enjoyed reading it. I'll Give You the Sun!!! Absolutely one of my all-time favorite contemporary books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWL is such a unique novel. I agree IGYTS is also one of my favourite contemporary novels. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I loved "I'll give you the sun" such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love Jandy Nelson's novels. Thank you for commenting !

      Delete
  4. I think I'll read We Were Liars and I'll Give You the Sun this summer! I just purchased I'll Give You the Sun on B&N.com yesterday so I should get it by Friday. Great post and recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them Savannah! Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I'll Give You the Sun is definitely perfect for Summer! I've seen so many people talking about We Were Liars since years ago, but I still haven't read it *hides* I really really hope to read it this year though!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete