Wednesday 8 January 2020

Top Books of 2019



2019 has come to an end. It was definitely A YEAR, but not one for reading.. I only managed to read 33 books as I started a new job, moved out and had a lot of other stuff going on that just left me with very little time to get to much reading. But what I did manage to read, was fantastic!

Check out some of the amazing and wonderful books I read this year. Reviews I have posted will be linked and I'll give you 3 reasons why I loved each book - Let's go!

 Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare (Review Here)

Okay, this year I finally hopped back on the Cassie Clare fan-club. I read the entire The Infernal Devices series and finished The Mortal Instruments series.

Clockwork Princess was a fantastic read because:

#1 The couples - this book provides some great couple and relationship development for so many. From Charlotte & Henry, Gideon and Sophie and our ever loving Jem/Tessa/Will love triangle

#2 Be still my Jessa shipping heart

#3 Thinking about the epilogue still hurts. If you wanna feel pain? Read a Cassandra Clare book

 Simon Vs The Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (Review Here)

Okay, this book had been on my TBR for years and I finally got round to reading it. Boy, was I in love with this book.

#1 The mystery romance was so gripping to read about

#2 This book actually had me laughing out loud. There were so many hilarious incidents and parts that I still find myself thinking about

#3 The characters were so three dimensional. Honestly I loved reading about every single character and wanted them to come out of the page. I could honestly read a book about each and every side character. I now need to read everything Becky has and will ever write.




 The Good Luck Girls  by  Charlotte Nicole Davis (Review Here)

This book was an unexpected fave. You know when you pick up a book not knowing much about it, and then the next thing you're awake till 3am with the book glues to your hands because you CANNOT STOP READING

#1 The characters. Oh boy the characters of this novel are so well written, so complex and multi faceted. The relationships and friendships are so well written I felt so captivated and caught up in them.

#2 The plot was hella gripping. I literally could not stop reading.

#3 Girl power. This book even though it is a western is so feminist. I loved the strong women, the girls friendships and how they supported each other in a world that punishes women.
Cannot wait for the sequel.

 Bookshop Girl by Chloe Coles  (Review Here)

I read the first and the second book in this series pretty close together so they kinda melded together in my mind but wow did I love them.

#1 The main character is a teenage bookseller who is obsessed with books!

#2 So hilarious. These books are so well written with such funny lines and scenes that will have you laughing your butt off

#3 The friendship between the main character and her best friend is so well written and cute. I think they may be my new favourite book friendship pair.
 Internment by Samira Ahmed (Review Here)

This book blew me away. Completely. It was definitely a book that kept popping into my mind days / weeks / months after finishing. 

#1 This book is scary. But it isn't horror. It is scary and frightening because of how close to reality the events off this novel are for so many people and the suffering they face in these "internment camps" 

#2 The author writes so clearly, detailed and doesn't shy away from any of the "hard-to-read" aspects of the life in internment

#3 The main character Layla was so inspiring. She was so incredibly brave, even standing up against her own loved ones when they were in the wrong, which can be very difficult to do.

 A Danger To Herself and Others by Alyssa Scheinmel (Review Here)

This novel is probably one of MY ALL TIME FAVOURITES because I was so completely hooked, a can't-put-it-down read. 

#1 The depiction of mental health and the mental health care system was really well written. The novel doesn't shy away from any of the "uncomfortable" truths around mental illness and they are well written

#2 This book takes the unreliable narrator trope to ANOTHER LEVEL. Seriously. Keeps you guessing till the very last sentence.

#3 Alyssa Sheinmel is now one of my "auto-buy" authors. This novel completely sold me on how talented of a writer she is and I will honestly read everything she writes from this day forward.  


 Heartstopper by Alice Oseman (Review Here)

Okay, so if you haven't heard of this graphic novel series, you've been living under a rock. 

#1 It explores the LGBTQ experience and "coming out" over an extended course of time. From questioning, to coming out, to life and love after. Where most books finish off there, this story shows the real time experience

#2 NICK & CHARLIE ARE FREAKING ADORABLE

#3 Everything from the plot, dialogue, drawing style, side characters, humorous scenes and serious scenes are all so extremely well written, well paced and well timed. Honestly I think Heartstopper is one of the most perfect series I've ever read. 


 Happy Girl Lucky by Holly Smale (Review Here)

A brand new series from the author of Geek Girl! Each book in the series follows a different sibling in the Valentines family. 

#1 This book is just as amazing as Smale's Geek Girl series, while also being so very different. I was worried I wouldn't like it as much as the Geek Girl series but boy oh boy. Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic! 

#2 The characters are so unique. They're personalities are so different and you warm to them the minute you meet them on the page. 

#3 Hope is the most wonderful, enthusiastic, dramatic and optimistic main character I've ever read. I felt myself laughing when she did something silly, swooning when she was being romantic and then feeling sorry for her and wanting to protect her when something bad happened. Hope is just amazing. You gotta read her book! 


Honorable Mentions:

This Furious Thing by Jenny Downham [review on way..]
The Quiet At The End Of The World by Lauren E James  [review on way..]

No comments:

Post a Comment