Tuesday 10 July 2018

Review: Knights of the Borrowed Dark by Dave Rudden

Publication Date: March 10th 2016
Publisher: Puffin Books
Source: Borrowed

[ Goodreads ]               [ Book Depository

Blurb: 

Denizen Hardwick is an orphan, and his life is, well, normal. Sure, in storybooks orphans are rescued from drudgery when they discover they are a wizard or a warrior or a prophesied king. But this is real life—orphans are just kids without parents. At least that’s what Denizen thought. . . . 
 

On a particularly dark night, the gates of Crosscaper Orphanage open to a car that almost growls with power. The car and the man in it retrieve Denizen with the promise of introducing him to a long-lost aunt. But on the ride into the city, they are attacked. Denizen soon learns that monsters can grow out of the shadows. And there is an ancient order of knights who keep them at bay. Denizen has a unique connection to these knights, but everything they tell him feels like a half-truth.
 If Denizen joins the order, is he fulfilling his destiny, or turning his back on everything his family did to keep him alive?

So this is a book I have seen so much buzz and chatter around since its release two years ago! I was so glad to finally pick it up so that I could see what all the hype was about. 

I was really looking forward to reading this novel as my interest was re-instated after seeing the recent publication of the third novel earlier this year. This series had taken the internet and my Instagram by storm! I really enjoy a gripping and adventurous middle grade novel and had not read one for a while, the final Percy Jackson book not included. This book also has one of the best first sentences I've ever read: "Looking back, it had been a mistake to fill the orphanage with books."


One of the things I enjoyed about this novel was the take on the somewhat tired old trope of the "orphan who is secretly the chosen one / magical". Rudden takes this and allows the trope to gain new ground and diversify into different areas. The build up to the plot gaining traction allows the reader to become closer to our protagonist Denizen and his home in the orphanage of Crossscaper. 

I really enjoyed reading about Crossscaper and Denizens life there with the other children and his best friend Simon. Speaking of, Simon was one of my favourite characters in the novel. He was the perfect best friend, so loyal and sweet, perfectly bookish and I found myself eagerly looking forward to his chapters. Darcie was also another favourite. I loved her quiet nature and her relationship with Denizen. I hope they get more page-time in the sequel. 

The plot of the novel was somewhat a slower pace than what I was expecting. I didn't find myself gripped to the plot as much as I was hoping and I found that when I reached the end of the novel I was somewhat disappointed by the flatness of it. I also wished the story was more obviously Irish..if that makes sense? The setting is clearly Irish  with place names, and trips around Dublin but I was hoping for just a little more colloquial slang or something extra. Although I understand many authors do not do this on purpose as hey feel it can alienate readers who are not familiar with it. I just feel it would have increased my connection to the novel. 

 Asides from this I did enjoy Rudden's writing style. I loved his creation f this magical world, the rules, monsters and relationships were all so perfectly written and compelling. There was one particular twist in the novel which I did not see coming and genuinely surprised me! 

Overall a fun and enjoyable magical tale of friendship, beginnings and action. This would be a perfect novel to give to a son, nephew or brother!  I am definitely going to be reading the sequel to find out what is in store for Denizen next! 


No comments:

Post a Comment