Wednesday 31 October 2018

Review: Season of the Witch by Mariah Fredericks

Publication Date: 8th October 2013
PublisherSchwartz & Wade 
Source: Won

Goodreads  ]            [  Book Depository  ]

Blurb: 

Queen Bee Chloe is going to make Toni suffer for whatever transpired between Toni and Chloe's boyfriend, Oliver, over the summer. From day one of eleventh grade, she has Toni branded as a super slut, and it isn't long before things get so ugly that Toni fears for her safety. What's a scared, powerless, and fed-up teenager to do?

 Guided by Cassandra—a girl with some serious problems of her own—Toni decides to stop playing the victim and take control. Cassandra has been experimenting with witchcraft, and together they cast a spell on Chloe that may actually cause her death. Could Toni have really made such an awful thing happen?
So this book has been on my bookshelf for the LONGEST time and by that I mean....since 2013! I have decided that I am going to focus more on trying to read the books that have been on my bookshelves for a long time and not buy any more books until I can bring my TBR pile down a little. Any progress is good progress right ? 

I had very little idea what this book was as I was going into it, which was probably a good thing. Although the book did not blow me away, I did enjoy it for the most part. 

The story revolves around Toni, our main character who over the summer kissed the boyfriend of the most popular girl in school. As she now returns to school, she returns to cold shoulders from everyone, snide remarks and bullying behaviour from Chloe and her group of popular friends. 


Toni's life is going through a rough patch, which is when Cassandra comes in. Cassandra, reeling from the death of her younger brother brings Toni down a dark path of witchcraft, midnight hexes, friendship and magic. Their friendship quickly becomes all consuming and strong as they continue to mess with the dark arts to meet their own ends. 

The novel was very reminiscent of the movie The Craft for me. I really enjoy that movie, but for some reason this book felt a little flat for the most part. I felt like I was waiting for some huge twist that never came. I read the novel pretty quickly, and maybe if the book was more drawn out or longer, it would have resonated more. 

Overall an okay read that would be good for Halloween time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment