Sunday 10 March 2019

Review: Internment by Samira Ahmed

Publication Date: 07 March 2019
Publisher: Atom Books
Source: Review Copy (#Gifted)

[ Goodreads ]           [ Book Depository ]

Blurb: 

Rebellions are built on hope.
Set in a horrifying near-future United States, seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her parents are forced into an internment camp for Muslim American citizens.

With the help of newly made friends also trapped within the internment camp, her boyfriend on the outside, and an unexpected alliance, Layla begins a journey to fight for freedom, leading a revolution against the internment camp's Director and his guards.

Heart-racing and emotional, Internment challenges readers to fight complicit silence that exists in our society today.
 



 A big thank you to Atom Books for sending me this book in exchange for my full and honest review. 

This is probably one of the most scary and hard hitting books I will read. I found the novel so terrifying as the events unfolding in it could easily begin to happen tomorrow. The novel centers around Layla, a seventeen year old American Muslim whose life is turned upside down when her and her family are shipped off to an internment camp against their will. It is the life inside these internment "anti- Muslim" camps that really make for harrowing reading. 


The characters in this novel touched me so deeply. Layla was the strongest voice. She was so incredibly brave, even standing up against her own loved ones when they were in the wrong, which can be very difficult to do. She felt everything deeply and was just an inspiration to read the novel in her voice. I loved her relationship with he boyfriend David and her close knit relationship with her parents. Ayesha was also a great character to read about, I loved her fangirl geekiness and her pride in it. Their friendship was so strong from the get go and I loved the support they offered to each other. 

My only problems with this novel were twofold. Firstly, the beginning of the novel took some time to get into the pace and action. I found it took maybe 80 pages before I could feel myself becoming invested in the story..but once I was drawn in I was hooked!
My second issue was the character of Jake. Now I know that a lot of people reading this novel may actually like Jake but for me I didn't like him from the beginning. I know he wants to help Layla and feels that his culture have a lot to answer for in the current state of the racism divide in America...but I still felt his relationship with Layla was very odd. Every time they meet there was constant touching, which I found strange as he is an adult, although only 22 and she is 17, and that he also has a position of power over her as a guard. I also felt it was a little disheartening to see him as a "white hero"when I feel Layla could have saved herself. But perhaps he was necessary to the story-line. 

I think Ahmed has shown herself as such a strong voice. Her writing style in the novel shows directly what is happening, draws back to current day and does not sugar coat any of the injustices being suffered. The novel makes you feel afraid for something like this happening, while at the same time empowering the reader with Layla's voice. Layla knows the importance of voicing your opinion, freedom of speech and to stand against injustices. A chilling yet extremely empowering novel for anyone to read. 


 [ ACTUAL RATING 4.5 STARS ]

No comments:

Post a Comment