Saturday 29 December 2012

Top 12 books of 2012

I read 70 book in 2012, all of them were good but some of them were really good and a lot of them were amazing! It was really hard to pick the Top 12 book of the year. I had to consider:Would I read it again? What was special/different about this book? How did I connect to it or How did it make me think about something in a different way?. So I finally reduced 70 to 12 and after a long time of debating, I think I have a pretty good Top 12 of 2012.
So first up is The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson. This is a series I began reading in April and finished today, yep- finally finished Nevermore [review to come]. This series was amazing. It had all the qualities of a good series- Strong characters, romance, action, humour and plot twists. Although the first 3 books are the, in my opinion, best of the series, I do feel it is a series worth picking up and reading. It is a series I know I will love for a long time to come.

Next up is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (or at least the first three books because they are all I've read so far.). This series is amazing. You really get thrown into the world of Shadow hunters and demons. It is gripping, funny and action packed. You develop really close connections to all the characters so quickly. Each book is amazing and really adds to the story of the series flawlessly. I really must pick up the rest of the series. And there is a movie coming out soon, so if you have not read these books, what better time to pick them up?

Next is two books by Jenny Downham, Before I die and You Against Me. Jenny Downhams novels are utterly amazing. I think an aspect of her writing that is so compelling is her ability to write about such delicate topics in such a real, honest way. She deals with topics such as young death (Before I Die) and rape (You Against Me), which would be left alone by most authors who are not confident to write about such topics. Jenny Downhams book also build such a connection between the characters and the reader that I think is very important in writing. Her books are amazing and Before I Die has been adapted to the big screen as "Now Is Good". I strongly recommend these novels.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower was life changing. That is not a statement made half-heartedly. I read this book at a time where I could relate to many of Charlies hardships. I really felt the book opened my eyes to how important it is to "participate" and move away from being a Wallflower. The novel is beautifully written with both heart and soul. The novel had such a twist at the end that I did not see coming. I think everyone can relate to this novel or recall a time where they could have related to this novel. This book will forever remain close to my heart. I recommend reading it before seeing its movie adaptation- although the movie is very good.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins- This is the conclusion to one of my favourite book series' The Hunger Games. I heard a lot of negative stuff about this book before reading it and was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy the book. I felt the book really ended the series in a perfect way. Suzanne Collins had a wonderful idea for a story and turned it into three wonderful books. The series, in my opinion, is one of my all time favourites.
My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher-This book was amazing. It was captivating, honest,gripping and completely took me by surprise. The book is so full of raw emotion. The way it was written from a child's perspective, and that sense of not fully comprehending everything was just breathtakingly written. I would definitely read this book again.
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness- This book was so good. The idea for the novel was so unique. The novel itself was wonderfully written, captivating and awe-inspiring. The illustrations really brought the story to life for me. If you have not read this- I strongly recommend you do.
The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens- I enjoy middle grade fantasy novels and for me, this is one of the best. It is gripping, plot driven, has great characters, is mysterious and full of action-adventure. If you have a brother between the ages of 9-14 then I recommend this book for them. Or if you are like me and enjoy these type of books, then I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan- This series is honestly one of the best I have ever read. The novels are so well written and packed with adventure, humour and a small dash of romance. The books would be aimed at a slightly younger audience, possibly 12-14, but as I said above I really enjoy novels like these. The Greek mythology was super interesting in the series. Also the series has such a welcoming fandom!
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green-This book. This book is one of the best books I have read, not only in 2012, but in my life! It was uplifting, gripping, funny, sad, heartbreaking and beautiful It really made me think about life. This is without a doubt John Greens best and most loved novel. If you have not read this, what are you doing?! Read it now!
Animal Farm by George Orwell- This book was my favourite classic of 2012. Filled with little nudges at Hitler and Stalin it was really interesting to read as a history student. The writing was really captivating and the novel overall was amazing.
 
 
So that was my Top 12 of  2012. Please comment below with What was your Top novels of 2012? Have you read any of these novels and what did you think? Link me your Top books of 2012. -Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment