Saturday 25 April 2015

World Book Night 2015





World Book Night is an annual event that takes place on the 23rd of April. This event promotes reading for pleasure to those who do not read, and those who do not read often. 

I love being a "giver", a volunteer who hands out books to people who fit these descriptions, and have been a giver on World Book Night for the past three years in a row! 

If you would like to find out more about World Book Night and how you can become a part of it, check out their website here.   








The novel I chose to hand out is My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher (see my review here) . 

I read this novel a few years ago, back in 2012 when I had just started blogging, and I remember loving the way it was written, the plot and the theme of racism and how that was addressed in the novel. 

I decided I would hand out the novels around my town and college so I made up little paper labels as you can see in the above photo to let people know that it was okay to take the books home with them! I also wrote my name and blog address inside so people who found the books could let me know.  







So I woke up at 7 am, showered and got dressed and headed into town to begin my WBN . 

The first place I stopped was the benches beside the river that runs through my town. I often see people sit and read a newspaper here and the sun was shining so I thought this might be a great place to leave a few of the books so that someone could pick them up and read them in the sun. 

Next I visited some of my favourite coffee shops in my town, Costa and Grappa.  I left two or three copies in the window and newspaper rack of Grappa and the barista was very interested in World Book Night. 

I then went to Costa and left three copies on the tables around the seating area. I love to sit and read in Costa and left a copy on the table beside the big window that looks out onto the busy street which is my favourite place to sit and read there.  The barista in Costa also seemed very keen and interested in World Book Night .

 I ordered an Iced Caramel Latte before running to college to catch my 11am double lecture. 




At college, I left a few books in my college library and in the student lounge. I gave a copy to my friend Niamh and to one of my lecturer's who never has time to read and said that My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece sounded like something she would love! 

On my lunch break, I headed back into town and left a few more copies at bus stops. 

I then visited my local library where I left three copies and chatted to the staff about how amazing this novel is ! 

In the evening, when my day at college had finished at around 6:30pm, I walked back through the places I had left books around town and was happy to see that someone had brought them home. 




I loved World Book Night this year, as I do every year, and I can't wait to participate again. 

Let me know of you participated and what books you gave out in the comments below! 

Also leave a link if you posted a blog post on your experience of World Book Night this year, I'd  love to read it ! 





No comments:

Post a Comment