Wednesday 4 July 2018

Review: Release by Patrick Ness

Publication Date: 1st May 2018
Publisher: Walker Books
Source: Review Copy from publisher

[ Goodreads ]              [ Book Depository


Blurb: 

Inspired by Mrs Dalloway and Judy Blume's Forever, Release is one day in the life of Adam Thorn, 17. It's a big day. Things go wrong. It's intense, and all the while, weirdness approaches...

Adam Thorn is having what will turn out to be the most unsettling, difficult day of his life, with relationships fracturing, a harrowing incident at work, and a showdown between this gay teen and his preacher father that changes everything. It's a day of confrontation, running, sex, love, heartbreak, and maybe, just maybe, hope. He won't come out of it unchanged. And all the while, lurking at the edges of the story, something extraordinary and unsettling is on a collision course.
 

 Huge thank you to Walker Books for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for my full honest review. I have read some Patrick Ness novels before (see reviews here!) and highly enjoyed them. I also had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Ness at Dept Con a few years back. Going into this I expected to enjoy it but was actually surprised to find myself loving it even more than I had anticipated. I will say that there is some sexual scenes within the novel, so would recommend it for older teens. 

The novel completely hooked me. I have not been reading very much this year up until last month, as you can tell from the review barren wasteland my blog has become. But this novel completely gripped me from the get go and I sped through in 2 days because I could not put it down! 



One of the things I really enjoyed about this novel was the fact that it takes place over a single day. I had not realised before that I really enjoy novels that take place  in just a single day but I find it so compelling to read and there is clear skill evident in the author to write an entire novel of plot unfolding over a single day without it having too fast pace or plot overload. Ness has perfected this art as the events unfold so naturally and the novels flow is perfect. 

The novels story unfolds between two points of view, firstly the protagonist Adam who is having to face a lot of truths and changes in this single day and secondly, the ghost. The novels point of view shifts occasionally between chapters back and forth between these characters who are both on a journey of their own looking for a sense of release from there burdens. I loved the way the ghosts perspective broke up the story and added an almost fairy-tale like quality to the novel. (Although not the princess kind- more eerie Hans Christian Anderson than sleeping beauty). I found myself sometimes being so drawn into something intense in Adams story and then as the perspective shifts to the ghost, it is more calm dreamlike perspective. This was a great way to break up the story and allow the reader to reflect on what had happened with Adam more deeply before delving back into his side of the story. 

The characters and their relationships in this novel are so brilliantly written. Angela was an amazing character, and I am slightly jealous that she is Adams best friend because she was so funny and supportive. The relationships withing the novel, mostly Adams, are really what struck a cord with me. 

Adam comes from a conservative religious christian family. His father leads a church and his older brother is in college to become a minister. Among this highly conservative and controlling family, Adam harbours the secret that he is gay. I could almost feel Adams suffocation at living in this family in one lie and having to hide his true self. 
I really loved reading about his relationship with Linus, who is so adorable, and his heartbreak over his first boyfriend Enzo. Their relationships and romance and intimacy was so well written that the reader could almost feel themselves in Adams shoes to understand his heartbreak and emotions.  

Adam was such a well written character who really connects to the reader. His family are also so well written, especially his complex relationship with them and his father. The family dynamics were both gripping and heartbreaking to read as I know this is a reality for some people whose family do not accept them. 

Everything about this novel gripped me. From Patrick Ness's wonderful plot design and writing style, to the characters, family dynamics and slight ghost story. A stunning story of love, acceptance, growing up and a ghost. 

Honestly, if you do not pick this one up soon you are seriously missing out! Also the UK cover above is one of the most beautiful book covers I have ever seen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment