Friday 10 April 2020

Review: What's A Girl To Do by Holly Bourne

Publication Date: August 2016
Publisher: Usbourne
Series: The Spinster Club/ The Normal Series #3
Source: Own

[ Goodreads ]                   [ Book Depository ]

Blurb: 
HOW TO START A FEMINIST REVOLUTION:
1. Call out anything that is unfair on one gender

2. Don't call out the same thing twice (so you can sleep and breathe)

3. Always try to keep it funny

4. Don't let anything slide. Even when you start to break...

Lottie's determined to change the world with her #Vagilante vlog. Shame the trolls have other ideas...



 This is the 3rd book in the Spinster Club series. If you know me, you will know this series is one of my favourite series of all times! Check out my reviews of the other books, Am I Normal Yet? and How Hard Can Love Be

This book centres on Lottie, who is one of my most outspoken and bubbly of the trio. Lottie's book is one I was so looking forward to reading, but for some reason I let myself get busy and didn't have time to read it. So it sat on my shelf for years but due to ~quarantine~ I now have ALL THE READING TIME!!! 

Lottie's book was just as funny, feminism filled as I was expecting. The novel centers on Lotties activist campaign #Vagilante where she is going to call out every piece of sexism she sees for an entire month while creating an online video series documenting the campaign. She recruits budding videographer Will, who is handsome but "definitely not a feminist". 


The way in which our favourite Spinster sisters were portrayed over this book was so interesting. We see our girls changing as they look to the future- as they are nearing the end of school and will be beginning university soon. I really liked reading Lottie's want to go to Cambridge and achieve her dream of being prime minister but also battling with the feeling of leaving her friends and comfortable safe space behind. 
The way the girls friendship is so pure makes me so happy. The girls build each other up, comfort each other and also know when to call each other out. The spinster club is so amazing. Their scenes just made my heart burst with joy as they make me so happy. They're definitely the characters I wish I could pull out of the book and make my friends in real life. 

Two new characters introduced in this book I fell in love with entirely. Firstly, lets talk about Will. Will. Oh, wow. Will was on one hand infuriating because he refused to accept the term "feminist" and described himself as "believing in gender equality". And yet he was also devastatingly handsome and cheeky and quirky. I really loved seeing him and Lottie get closer and closer and how Lottie was jumping between being infuriated at him but also acknowledging his hotness. Lottie and Will bounced off each other as they were both confident, so stubborn and love arguing. I really enjoyed seeing their relationship progress.
The other new character we were introduced to was Megan. I absolutely loved Megan and her relationship with Lottie. Megan is holding a pain which Lottie thinks is her responsibility to unlock and help with but sometimes it's not the most helpful way to do this. I really enjoyed how Lottie welcomed Megan into their inner circle, and seeing Megan open up and become happy compared to where she was in the beginning of the book. 

The feminist side of the plot was everything I had hoped for and more. Lottie's book was always going to be packed full of feminism. Her #Vagilante campaign was so fun, but also eye-opening. The cream-pieing and the horn honking definitely brought some humour but I was also surprised by things I hadn't even realised were sexist. Sexism is so deeply ingrained in our society that most of the time we overlook it without realising. I absolutely loved the feminist, female empowering Lottie we got to see in this novel and really wish I could have my own Spinster Club - cheesy snacks essential. 

Overall this book was a laugh out loud, feminism filled end to the Spinster Club trilogy and was everything I could have hoped for and more. Holly has created such amazing three dimensional characters that I honestly wish I could pull from the page into my life. Holly's books are always thought provoking, funny and truly connect with the reader. Could not recommend a better series of novels.


No comments:

Post a Comment