Tuesday 6 October 2015

Review: All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry

Publication Date: April 2014
Publisher: Templar Publishing
Source: Borrowed from library

[ Goodreads ]               [ Book Depository ]



Blurb: 

Speak meets  The Scarlet Letter in this literary masterpiece, the recipient of five starred reviews and nominated for the 2014 Edgar Award

Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family.   Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who's owned her heart as long as she can remember--even if he doesn't know it--her childhood friend, Lucas.   But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever.




 I picked this book up in a recent trip to my local library. I'd heard a handful of good reviews for this novel and had seen it around bookstagram so I decided to pick it up despite my mountainous TBR pile currently. 

Julie Berry tells the story of young Judith who was taken and silenced by her captor when she was a young teenager. Now, a woman of 18, Judith tells her story through thoughts directed at her childhood love, Lucas. 



Julie Berry's writing in this novel is extremely beautiful, poetic and captivating. The language of the novel is a sort of mix between poetry and old fashioned English. I really enjoyed the flow the story had and felt that this novel was very different to Berry's other novel I had read, The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place,. 

The story of the novel was very bold, the action of the plot kicked off from the very first page and although I read the majority of the novel in a single sitting, I was not blown away. 

The novel contains enjoyable characters whose lives were interesting to read about and a plot that was entertaining while touching on important issues. Although these were things I enjoyed about the novel, I did find myself wishing there was something more. I felt like I was waiting for another twist or character revelation but the novel sort of flat lined to a predictable ending. 


I sympathised with Judith as the town treated her as an outsider and I felt moved in every little victory she accomplished in the novel. Although I preferred the story line of Judith regaining speech to that of the love interest, I still enjoyed Lucas' character. 

Overall a good novel that touches on important issues with a poetic writing style and a historical fiction atmosphere. If you're looking for a quick and entertaining read, pick this up!


No comments:

Post a Comment