Monday 16 January 2017

Review: What Light by Jay Asher

Publication Date: 18 October 2016
Publisher: Razorbill publishing
Source: Received

[ Goodreads ]                   [ Book Depository


Blurb: 

Sierra's family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon—it's a bucolic setting for a girl to grow up in, except that every year, they pack up and move to California to set up their Christmas tree lot for the season. So Sierra lives two lives: her life in Oregon and her life at Christmas. And leaving one always means missing the other. 

Until this particular Christmas, when Sierra meets Caleb, and one life eclipses the other.
By reputation, Caleb is not your perfect guy: years ago, he made an enormous mistake and has been paying for it ever since. But Sierra sees beyond Caleb's past and becomes determined to help him find forgiveness and, maybe, redemption. As disapproval, misconceptions, and suspicions swirl around them, Caleb and Sierra discover the one thing that transcends all else: true love.



I received this book in my goody bag when I attended Dept Con 2 last year in October and was so excited to read a christmassy contemporary. But because of college work and exams I only got around to reading it now. This was a good and nice book to kick off my reading for 2017. 


I wasn't sure if I would like this book because, unpopular opinion alert: .....I DNF'd 13 Reasons Why.....I know, I know, everyone and their dog loves that book but for me I really just couldn't get into it. But I will watch the Netflix series definitely! 

So I wasn't really confident that I would enjoy this book but I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did because this book was a good cute read to get me over my reading slump and back into reading. 


The book was a good read, not mind blowing or fantastic, just a fine read. The book was set on a Christmas tree farm which I thought was really fun and interesting. The characters in the book were a little hit and miss for me. I found the main character Sierra to be a little naive, annoying and dramatic at times but also at times she was funny and I loved her relationship with her friends back home in  Oregon and also with Heather. Sierra''s parents were actually present, which was unusual for a YA novel but I appreciated it, although I found her dad to be a little over protective at times and the whole "outhouse" thing on the farm .... I thought that was strange. 

Heather was a great character. I found myself relating to her the most out of any of the characters. She was the perfect mix of dramatic and down to earth and funny. She was a great friend to Sierra and I loved their cute relationship. She was probably my favourite character in the novel. 

The romance of the book was a little insta-love for me....but maybe this is to be expected with these christmas contemporary cutesy novels? It was very dramatic insta love but I could look past it a little because I sort of expected it. Caleb was a good character, more interesting than Sierra in some regards, and I really liked how his past was dealt with in the novel. I could definitely see this novel being a TV Christmas movie. 

Overall I think this was a cute novel. The plot was a little predictable and slow at times but I think Christmas contemporary's are always a little like this. Not a memorable novel but still a cute fun read perfect for contemporary fans for Christmas. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment