Wednesday 13 January 2016

Favourite Books of 2015



I read and discovered so many amazing new books and authors in 2015 that narrowing it down to just those on this list was extremely difficult. 

I absolutely adored all of the books mentioned on this list and if I have not posted a review of them yet, it shall be up very soon. 

Lets jump right in to my list of the best books I read in 2015; 




Only Ever Yours by Louise O' Neill

This book was one of the first books I read in 2015 and it honestly blew me away. This is Louise O'Neills debut novel filled with a powerful setting, strong characters, feminism, themes of friendship, body issues, fat shaming, objectification and parallels can easily be drawn to our own society. Honestly this novel will stay with you for a very long time after reading and change your perspectives. 


Asking For It by Louise O'Neill   (Review Here)

I was lucky enough to be sent a review copy of this novel from Quercus (thank you!) and read it in a mere couple of days. The book is about beautiful, desired and flawed Emma. Emma is used to having everyone's attention, but then after photos and footage of her unconscious at a house party being raped by the towns football superstars all eyes are on her. This novel deals with abuse, rape, consent, social media, victim shaming and family. To sum up Asking For It in a sentence, I would have to describe it as being brutally realistic, sharply written and overall an extremely important novel. 

Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne

I honestly think that this novel is the best novel I have ever read about mental health. Am I Normal Yet? is about Evie, who is recovering from mental health issues and longs to be "normal". The novel touches on so many topics such as mental health, illness, family, friendship, relationships and feminism. I could not put this novel down once I had started it and hope to read the rest of Holly Bourne's work in 2016.

One by Sarah Crossan

This book is just perfection. There is no other way to describe it. Sarah Crossan's novel is about Tippi & Grace, two conjoined twin sisters and charts their journey going to main stream school for the first time, making friends, family, how society views them and what it feels like to be a sister. This novel was heartwarming, beautiful and was the first novel I had ever read written in verse. Please pick this novel up!

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

I read Jandy Nelson's novel The Sky Is Everywhere five years ago and absolutely adored it and so I went into this novel with high hopes and they were met! 
I loved the poetic flow of Jandy Nelson's writing in this novel and loved the pieces of art that were in the novel. The novel focuses on twin siblings Noah and Jude, with a dual POV set years apart, the reader is put on a journey to find out what happened to drive them apart.  A wonderfully gripping novel, with great characters, interesting plot and beautiful writing. 

All Of The Above by Juno Dawson

This novel is probably my all time favourite novel by Juno EVER. Toria is such a great narrative voice for the story and the realistic characters, emotions, themes of first love and friendship all made this novel have a special place in my heart....also Polly is pretty amazing too. 
Definitely one to pick up!

Under My Skin by Juno Dawson   (Review Here)

This was the first novel by Dawson I'd ever read and it was just so good. The plot of the novel surrounds shy and introverted Sally Feather, who one day is overcome by the compulsion to enter a tattoo shop and get a tattoo of the beautiful Molly Sue. Sally's confidence and popularity grows but what she doesn't realise is that Molly Sue also has her own agenda. 
The idea f an evil talking tattoo is just genius and is done so well in this novel. One again like all of Dawson's novels I've read there is some great characters, great relationships and wonderfully witty lines. Molly Sue was a great villain. 

Geek Girl Series  (Geek Girl Review) (Model Misfit Review)   (Picture Perfect Review)

The Geek Girl series was not something I thought I would have fallen head over heels in love with but I have. Harriet Manners is a wonder. She is funny, intelligent, a great friend and although she is clumsy and makes mistakes she is never dull. Her relationships with her family, friends, modelling agents and friends and her boyfriend are so great to read about. The series is absolutely fantastic and makes me smile even thinking about it. If you have not read the Geek Girl series - please do! 

Fish Out Of Water by Natalie Whipple 

Fish Out Of Water is one of the best contemporary novels I've ever read and it has a POC main character The novel is about Mika, who has pet fish and loves animal, who has her perfect summer all planned out including working a great job in the pet store. Yet, her plans are thrown to the wind with the arrivals of her estranged grandmother and the too-cool Dylan. 
This novel was so perfect. I loved Mika, her grandmother, her friends and her fascination with fish! A perfect novel. 

Being A Girl by Hayley Long   (Review Here)

Being A Girl is less of a novel and more of manual. Hayley Long covers practically everything from puberty to periods, feminism to love. Everything is explained in Hayley Longs charismatic writing style and accompanied by Gemma Corrells fantastic illustrations. 



2 comments:

  1. I have some catching up to do - great list but I've not read Juno's books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED UNDER MY SKIN SO MUCH!! It was my first book by Juno Dawson, but I'm trying to read all of her other books now. It was one of my favourite books of 2015 too! I also read Only Ever Yours last year, and I loved it. I bought Asking For It with my Christmas money, so I'm hoping to get to it soon!

    It looks like you had a great year of reading! I hope you manage to read loads of good books this year, too <3
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete