Friday 29 March 2013

Book Review: Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz

Plot- 
As punishment for a crime he didn't really commit, Matt was given a choice: go to jail or go live with an old woman named Mrs. Deverill in a remote town called Lesser Malling.
He should have chosen jail.
A strange and sinister plan is coming together made in Lesser Malling, with Matt at the center of it all. People who try to help him disappear . . . or die. It all ties to an evil place named Raven's Gate - a place whose destiny is horrifyingly intertwined with Matt's own.

My Review: 
Before going into this book, I had heard so many amazing things about Anthony Horowitz's writing style and this cover made it look like an action, adventure, bad ass story. But honestly, I was disappointed with the way the book turned out.

So when I was first reading the book, I was excited. As I got to read on a bit and read about the crime he didn't commit, I was interested . But then when he smashed the jug of water and then basically never questioned it for half the novel , that really annoyed me. He was sort of an annoying character. He was witty at times but most of the time I just wanted him to stop being annoying and stop doing things that is going to get him into trouble. I didn't really like him as a character, and when you don't really like the main character- that can be a problem. I did however like his relationship with the journalist guy, I'm sorry his name is gone from my head and I've already returned the book to the library.  I thought that a very friendly/ father figure relationship was established between them. 


The villains in this novel- Mrs Deverill, Noah, and basically the entire freaking town, were not that scary. I honestly expected more creepy/weird-ness from them, especially Mrs Deverill. I kind of felt like she was an empty threat for a good eighty percent of the novel. Noah was the only one who actually scared / creeped me out - once. When he was talking about how much he enjoyed killing the pigs and hearing them scream, seeing their blood run and how he would like to kill Matt. That creeped me out, but I was still expecting more from him after that. 


The plot was slow. It really annoyed me that when the plot finally picked up- like in the museum, when someone died, at the end- the fast pace fizzled out to be something super anti-climatic. I mean seriously, why was their no explanation for the creepy painting that's eyes followed Matt or how the cat and Mrs Deverill are linked? Things like that really annoyed me about the novel. Also when we found out exactly what happened the day Matt's parents died, I felt a little let down. I thought it was going to be bigger than it was and felt disappointed. 


Overall, I didn't really enjoy the book . I'm not really sure whether I should continue with the series or not. If you've read the series please tell me below if it gets better after the first novel and if you think I should keep going? 

Rating: 

Three Star Novel
* * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment