Thursday 20 February 2014

Review: HeartBeat by Elizabeth Scott

Published by : Mira Ink | Release Date: Feb. 2014 | Pages: 304 | [Goodreads] [Book Depository

Blurb: Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?



Review: 



Thank you to those at Mira Ink for sending me a review copy. 

I read this book while in Switzerland last week. I was really in the mood for some realistic fiction, and this contemporary really did the trick.  This book could be described as an "issue-book" but I don't think that is an accurate description. There is a theme of controversy in this novel, similar to euthanasia , but I think the author has written it in a way that we see its effect on the characters while it doesn't take over the entire plot of the novel. I think Elizabeth Scott has written the issue in a very good way although at times I did find some things concerning it a little repetitive . 


The characters of the novel were good. The protagonist Emma moves through the novel being angry at Dan, her stepfather, and most people. She gives up on her grades and herself after the incident with her mother and it was a little sad to read about her decline. There is definite character development towards the end of the novel for Emma. I really enjoyed her relationship with her best friend Olivia, who I thought was a really interesting character. There is a romance in this book but it is not the centre of the book. I enjoyed that. Sometimes I found the romance to be a little too intense for the situation. 

The writing style of the novel was good but not great. I felt that although the dialogue was very well written, there was no great use of description in the novel. I would have liked if the writing style had been more descriptive as it would have put me in the world of the characters better. I also felt the writing style slowed my reading of the book. There would be sudden short sentences and then long sentences which just made it difficult to read at the one pace. 

Overall a good book if you're looking for a realistic fiction novel with contemporary elements and an entertaining read. 



Rating: 


Three Stars 

*   *   * 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    This sounds like an interesting story, great review!

    I just nominated you for the Liebster Award!
    Check it out on my blog http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl

    Bye!
    Myra

    ReplyDelete