Tuesday 10 July 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Publisher: Scholastic Press

Publication Date: August 2010


Blurb: 

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.






The amount of character development in this novel is unreal. In Mockingjay, we see Katniss' character go from the young teen we met in The Hunger Games, to a fully mature young woman, who we have grown to respect and love. 

The character of Katniss is so near and dear to my heart that I feel I almost know her. I think Katniss is the perfect example of a female heroin, that young girls can aspire to be like. Katniss is brave, loyal, a good friend and believes that family comes first. She is also a very protective person, which is one of my favourite qualities of hers. She also has a gentle and soft side which I love to see shining through.


If you have read any of my Hunger Games book reviews before, you know that I am Team Peeta all the way. For me, I feel that Gale is more of a friend or brother towards Katniss and Peeta has gone through so much emotion and horror with her that of course she is right with him. I loved Peeta's character development in this novel, going from the weak, timid "boy with the bread" to a warrior and brave man. I will always think of him as one of my favourite male characters.



I know that a lot of people had a problem with the plot, mainly the ending of the novel. Many people thought that the games would be featuring in this and that their family would be sent into it or something, many were disappointed by this. 

But, I really liked the plot  of this novel, maybe even the most of the trilogy! I thought it was excellently written, It was fast paced, it was gripping and so much more. I stayed up SO late finishing this book . When I would go somewhere, I would have this book with me!

 I was reading it all the time and even re-reading and highlighting (on Kindle) my favourite quotes and scenes. The plot of this book was amazing with new characters and plot twists galore! I loved the ending (although obviously I am sad the series is over) and how Suzanne wrapped up the series.


Suzanne Collins writing style in this book is phenomenal! It is just amazing. She has written the best possible conclusion to one of the best book series I have ever read!

 The characters she has created will stay with me for years. Her books have inspired countless amounts of people to get into reading. Her world building is so realistic that you can visualise Panem, District 12, The Arena, The Market etc,. 

Her Dialogue is great, witty, sarcastic and really helps with the character building. She has created such an awesome love triangle that has captured the hearts of many readers throughout the series with question- Who will she choose? The childhood friend or the one she's been through the games with?

Suzanne Collins, you have out done yourself with this novel. I absolutely loved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment